No bake savoury and colourful Feta cheesecake with peppers finished with balsamic vinegar! Make this cool summery savoury cheesecake in under 45 minutes, with its fresh tomato and cracker base with a cheese layer finished with peppers cooked in balsamic vinegar.
This cheesecake combine Feta cheese, mizithra and cream cheese for a unique savoury taste pairing perfectly with wine and beer. This flavorsome cheesecake can be served as an appetizer, dessert or simply enjoyed with friends and family in the evenings.
How do I prepare this savoury cheesecake?
Follow my simple no bake savoury Feta cheesecake recipe and make this lovely cheesecake in no time. There is no baking required but simple cooking of the pepper garnish. Start this recipe by covering the food ring or tin with parchment pepper. For this you will need a circular piece of the base and another strip for the sides.
To prepare the base, spoon the flesh of two tomatoes and add it along with the crackers in a food processor. Process them until smooth. Place the cracker-tomato base in the base of the food ring or tin and set it aside. Press firmly the mixture to create an even layer.
Continue by preparing the cheese filling. In a mixing bowl combine Feta cheese, cream cheese, mizithra and seasoning. Combine until smooth. Place the cheese filling into the food ring or tin and press lightly to create again an even layer. At this point, refrigerate the cheesecake.
Whilst the cheesecake sets, carry on by preparing the colourful garnish. Slice the peppers and onion into 1cm strips. In a pan, sauté the onion with the peppers under high heat for a couple of minutes. Continue by lowering the heat and further sautéing for 4-5 minutes. Cover with the lid, add water, seasoning and let them cook for 10 more minutes. Check them at regular intervals to avoid overcooking. Finally, before you withdraw the pan from the heat, add balsamic vinegar and stir. To serve, carefully remove the cheesecake from the rim and garnish with cooked peppers.
What do I need to be careful with when preparing this savoury Feta cheesecake?
The combination of Feta cheese, mizithra and cream cheese is already savoury so add salt to taste. Some Feta cheeses are saltier that others and so less salt is required in the recipe. Always try and season to taste.
Can I make this Feta cheesecake in advance?
This colourful savoury Feta cheesecake can be made in advance. Simply prepare the cracker base and the cheese layer and refrigerate. You can also prepare the pepper garnish with and store in an airtight container. Simply assemble the cheesecake prior to serving and amaze your guests.
What is mizithra and what can I replace it with?
Mizithra or Myzithra is a special type of Greek cheese made of goat’s or sheep’s milk or a combination of both. Mizithra is a fresh cheese with a sweet and milky taste. It pairs perfectly with tomatoes and thus I love using it in this Feta cheesecake. If you cannot get hold of mizithra, you can substitute with either mascarpone or ricotta cheese.
Which crackers can I use for the cheesecake?
I used ‘galeta’ a type of dry biscuit widely available in Greece. It is a dry biscuir very similar to cream cracker, hardtack and water biscuit.
What can you do with leftover Feta?
The options are endless with Feta cheese. Why not prepare a light and refreshing Horiatiki Salad? Check out my recipe for a traditional Greek Feta salad (Horiatiki).
Want to spice up your savoury Feta cheesecake? Simply add chilli flakes in the cheese filling. Not only you will get a spicy cheesy flavour but also a colourful cheese layer.
The traditional tool used to create an even surface is a spatula of course. For my recipes, I take a more pragmatic approach and I try to utilise utensils available. For this recipe, I used a water glass! The bottom of a water glass is wide enough and easy to use when pressing the cracker base.
Savoury Feta cheesecake
For the base:
- 100gr crackers
- 70gr tomato (app 2 tomatoes)
For the cream layer:
- 200gr Feta cheese
- 80gr cream cheese
- 120gr mizithra (or ricotta)
- Salt and pepper to season
For the garnish:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 50gr olive oil
- 50gr water
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt to season
For this recipe you will need:
Kitchen scales, food processor, pan, 1 small bowl, 1 water glass or spatula and parchment paper
- Cover the food ring or tin with parchment paper. You will need one circular piece for the base and another strip for the sides.
- Spoon the tomato flesh and add it in the food processor along with the crackers. Process until smooth.
- Place the cracker and tomato mixture into the base of the food ring. Press the mixture slightly firm to create an even surface. Set it aside.
- To make the cheese filling/layer, add Feta cheese, cream cheese, mizithra (or ricotta) and seasoning in a mixing bowl and blend until smooth. Place the cheese mixture into the food ring on top of the cracker base. Press lightly this time to create an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so that the cheese can set.
- Continue by preparing the garnish. Wash the peppers and slice both peppers and onion into 1cm strips.
- Pour oil in a pan and sauté the peppers with the onion on high heat. Continue by lowering the heat and sautéing them for a further 4-5 minutes. Add water, seasoning cover the pan with lid. Allow the peppers and onion cook for 10 more minutes. Lastly, add balsamic vinegar, stir, and withdraw from heat.
- To serve the cheesecake, carefully remove the base and cheese layer from the food ring and simply garnish with the cooked peppers.