Try this easy and nutritious traditional lentil soup (Fakes), one of the most common vegetarian dishes in Greece. Lentils belong to the legume or bean family and are high in fibre and protein. They also a very good source of vitamins and minerals, such as iron, magnesium, iron and B group vitamins.
Do lentils need to be soaked prior to cooking?
Unlike other pulses lentils do not need soaking prior to cooking. Simply wash the lentils and throw away any debris. Pour water and lentils in a pot and bring them close to boil. Once you have done this, drain the lentils with a colander. Now pour clean water and add the lentils.
How do you make this traditional Greek lentil soup (Fakes) ?
To make this nutritious and quick greek lentil soup simply follow my recipe below. Ingredients for lentil soup are of course lentils, fresh or canned tomatoes, onion, carrots, garlic. The spices I use for for lentil soup are : bay leaves, salt, paprika and a rich of salt. Start by washing the lentils and slicing the vegetables. In a pot add water and lentils. Bring them to boil and drain the lentils. Continue by pouring clean fresh water again in pot and add the lentils along with the rest of the ingredients. Boil lentils for 45 minutes. Adding a spoonful of vinegar at the end will add a delicate flavour.
Can you make lentil soup in pressure cooker?
Greek lentil soup can be made in pressure cooker. Start as you would normally start the recipe, ie bring lentils to boil and them drain them. Instead of adding the lentils into a pot, put them in a pressure cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Do not add vinegar at this stage. Add vinegar when the lentils have cooked. A pressure cooker uses high heat and cooks very quickly. As a result, this healthy lentil soup can be made in as little as 20 minutes!
What can I serve this traditional lentil soup (Fakes)?
This traditional lentil soup is served with green leafy salads as they help absorb the iron from the lentils. Lentil soup is also served with Feta cheese chunks and sourdough bread to dunk in.
Traditional lentil soup recipe
- 500gr lentils (brown or green)
- 200gr chopped tomatoes or 2 large fresh tomatoes
- 25mls /4 tbsp or 1/8 cup of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp tomato puree
- 1 pich of sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1tsp vinegar
- Put the the lentils in a bowl and discard debris and old shrivelled lentils. Wash lentils under running water for a couple of times.
- Chop the onion finely and slice the carrots in small pieces. You can either chop the garlic or add it as a whole. If you add the whole clove of garlic, remember to remove it at the end of cooking.
- Pour 750mls of water in a pot and add the washed lentils. Bring this close to boil and continue by draining the lentils with a colander. Throw away the water in which the lentils boiled initially.
- Pour 1L of water in a pot and add lentils along with all the other ingredients, ie onion, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree , bay leaves, olive oil, paprika, salt and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- Check halfway the seasoning of this traditional lentil soup and season accordingly.
- Once the lentils are smooth and velvety, withdraw the pot from the fire and add vinegar.