This winter try this Greek veal with cabbage stew! Enjoy this warm stew with lots of bread to mop up all the lovely juices.
The secret for this veal with casserole stew relies on the correct variety of cabbage and its unique cooking technique.
How do I prepare this veal with cabbage stew?
To prepare this lovely juicy stew you need to sauté small amounts of cabbage. Yes you read correctly; sauté the cabbage and keep adding cabbage pieces until you have added it all.
Can I substitute veal for beef?
This warm stew can be easily prepared with beef too.
Can I use any cabbage for this recipe?
There are more than 400 varieties of cabbage; all with different taste. For this delicious veal with cabbage stew recipe, I use green cabbage. Green cabbage is plentiful in Greece and is used in salads as well as food. Green cabbage is firm in consistency when raw , but turns soft when cooked. It also acquires with a lovely peppery taste upon cooking.
Veal with cabbage stew
- 800g veal or beef
- 1.5Kg green cabbage
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 can of plum tomatoes or 3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small red chilli pepper (optional)
- pinch of salt
- salt and pepper to season
- Start this delicious veal with cabbage stew by washing the veal under running water. Slice it into large cubes of approximately 150-200g. Dry it with a kitchen towel paper.
- In a heated pot add the veal pieces and sear them. Searing will take approximately 10 minutes or until all the surfaces of the meat are white /brown.
- Add 1.6L of warm water into the pot to cover the veal pieces.
- Cover with the lid and let the meat boil on medium heat. Keep an eye on the meat throughout boiling. Let it boil for 1h20min approximately. Season with salt close to an hour of boiling.
- Set the veal aside and sieve the boiled water. or broth. Set this broth aside too as you will need it later on in the casserole recipe.
- Remove the fibrous outer leaves of the cabbage and the stem. The inside of the cabbage is clean ; do inspect it though for any dirt. Remember the stem is not edible and thus not utlised in the dish.
- Cut the cabbage into smallpieces of approximate 2cm size.
- Heat 100ml of olive oil in a pot and start slowly adding small amounts of cabbage ;ie around 200g cabbage at a time.
- Sautee the sliced cabbage for approximately 3-4 minutes and add 1 teaspoon sweet paprika. Stir and let the cabbage sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Continue by adding small amounts of cabbage (200g) and stir. Sautee each batch of cabbage again for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat and cover with the lid. Let the cabbage steam for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Continue by adding incrementally small amounts of cabbage (200g). Stir thoroughly so that the added non cooked cabbage is sauteed; cover with lid and let the cabbage steam for a couple of minutes.
- Repeat this process until you have added all the green cabbage.
- One you have added all the cabbage , add the tomato paste and stir. Add the plum tomatoes, season with black pepper and stir.
- Add the veal ( or beef) along with the boiled broth in the pot. Make sure you cover both the cabbage and the meat with the broth. You may find that you may not require all the leftover broth.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- If you want to pie up the casserole add 1 small red chilli pepper (optional).
- Cook for approximately 35-40 minutes on low to medium heat.